Saturday, November 29, 2008

Merch Equals Money!


For anyone that knows me, or even sees me on a semi-regular basis, knows that a large part of my everyday wardrobe consists of band shirts. They are so easy to wear and are also fun, but they also play a big part in a band's success. For big musicians and up-and-coming artists alike, merchandise can be used for free advertising. I know that when I wear band shirts, people ask me about them and I would imagine that they are interested in the band as a whole if they like the shirt. They appeal to the people that would like the music and creates a wider fan base for the band. Major artists can make as much money from their merch than their CD sales as a whole. It really is an effective way to make easy money with tons of added benefits. Also, thing to be sold other than CDs are probably more effective products to be sold because people at the show probably already have the music because they obviously like it if they're there to see the band play live. Further, CDs aren't that reliable at all because it is so easy to get the music you wasn't without paying for it at all. It helps to offset the costs of touring and allows the band to have extra money for recording more music. Its a great investment on the bands part and great for the people that want to buy it! 
Do you agree that this is an effective form of advertisement and revenue? Have you ever introduced a friend to a band through some sort of merch?

2 comments:

Gaby said...

I completely agree! I love to wear my favorites bands' merch. It makes me feel like I'm a supporter, and yes, it does attract attention. Either from people who also like the band, they always comment on the merch, or from people who are curious about who the band is. I love to introduce new bands to people especially when I know they will love them too.

Anonymous said...

Wearing band merch is definitely a great way to spread the word about a new band. By wearing these shirts, you make yourself like a walking advertisement for the band and I'm sure that they would appreciate that. Once people see you wearing an interesting band shirt with nice song lyrics, or funky cartoons, it intrigues them to ask questions about the band itself and look up the band, and who knows? In the end, they might end up buying a shirt for the same band and promoting their music as well!