Thursday, December 4, 2008

Conflict of Interest?


As teenagers, we all look up to our favorite musical artists for some reason or another. On the other hand, there are some celebrities that we look at and immediately judge them for their actions outside of their musical profession. Is it fair to make these uneducated judgements or even choose to ignore negative influence our favorite artists have on us? I don't know the answer to this. Travis from Gym Class Heroes went to rehab twice for drug addiction, but I still am a fan of his music. I don't let this affect the way I think about his art. It is the same way with Max Bemis from Say Anything. Many of the lyrics are drug-inspired, but I don't have a problem with that. However, people like Britney Spears are being constantly judged for the things they do. I realize that she may not be the smartest person in the world, but people don't make opinions of her based on her actual music, it's more of what they hear in the tabloids. There is a double standard here. So, with this said, do you let celebrities' private lives affect your opinion of their art?

2 comments:

Gaby said...

This is so true. Honestly, I don't care about an artists personal life, it's all about the music for me. If I like the sound of something I will listen to it regardless of if the singer is addicted to a drug, breaks the law, or is not a good person. Maybe that's bad; maybe as a society we shouldn't buy an artists album and give them profit if they do something bad. But I don't think that will ever happen. Music is too powerful for people to stop listening.

Anonymous said...

I definitely think it's dumb to let the personal lives of celebrities affect how much you like their music. Their drug use doesn't affect you, and doesn't really affect your ability to listen to their music so I really think its none of their business. Occassionally, I have been known to get caught up in tabloids or read up on my favorite celebrity, but I know it's not my business. I also realize that I would indeed continue living if people were not constantly prying into the lives of famous people, but who is to blame other than people like myself who read this junk?